Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a reservation?
- Advance reservations are NOT required for any tower tour.
- Reservations are recommended for the guided, in-depth tour. Check back for 2024 guided tour dates!
How many stairs to the tower?
- 78 stairs to the top of the Presque Isle Lighthouse
- 69 stairs to the top of the Land Lighthouse
Are the lighthouses accessibile?
- The Presque Isle Lighthouse has an accessible entrance to the house around the back through the Summer Kitchen. There is also a video tour of the house and tower located inside. The tower and 2nd floor of the home are not accessible.
- The Land Lighthouse is not accessible at this time.
Can I just walk around the grounds?
Do you have a gift shop on site?
- Both Presque Isle and Erie Land Lighthouses have gift shops.
- Only select items are available at the Erie Land Lighthouse. To explore all of our products, visit the Welcome Center at the Presque Isle Lighthouse.
- Shops are open during Lighthouse open hours. Our Online Shop is open year round.
What happens in bad weather?
- No one is permitted to climb the tower in heavy rain or if thunder and lightning are present in the area. Staff will wait 30 minutes to re-open the towers after the last visible lightning.
- Staff may also close tower for additional inclement weather conditions including but not limited to: high winds, high air particulates, snow.
- Guests who pre-purchased tickets will receive a full refund in the case of a site closure due to weather.