Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a reservation?
- Advance reservations are NOT required for any tower tour.
- Reservations are recommended for the Guided, in-depth tour. Book your tour today.
How many stairs to the tower?
- 78 stairs to the top of the Presque Isle Lighthouse
- 69 stairs to the top of the Land Lighthouse
Are the lighthouses accessibile?
- The Presque Isle Lighthouse has an accessible entrance to the house around the back through the Summer Kitchen. There is also a video tour of the house and tower located inside. The tower and 2nd floor of the home are not accessible.
- The Land Lighthouse is not accessible at this time.
Can I just walk around the grounds?
- Yes, the grounds of all three lighthouses are open to the public. See our hours page for more information. Presque Isle grounds are free to explore inside the fence during open hours only.
- An audio tour is available for guests who wish to explore the grounds of the Land Lighthouse on a self-paced tour
Do you have a gift shop on site?
- Both Presque Isle and Erie Land Lighthouses have gift shops.
- Only select items are available at the Erie Land Lighthouse. To explore all of our products, visit the Welcome Center at the Presque Isle Lighthouse.
What happens in bad weather?
- No one is permitted to climb the tower in heavy rain or if thunder and lightning are present in the area. Staff will wait 30 minutes to re-open the towers after the last visible lightning.
- Guests who pre-purchased tickets will receive a full refund in the case of a site closure due to weather.